450,000 to lose SEN status -

7 posts / 0
Last post
Corris's picture
Corris
450,000 to lose SEN status -

I was troubled to see this this morning;  I thought it was terrifically difficult to get SEN provision anyway, and one wonders what parent would want a 'slow' child 'labelled' in such a way?  Isn't it just about getting appropriate support for a child?

The practice of wrongly labelling hundreds of thousands of pupils as having special needs is to be ended.

One in five children in England – about 1.7million – is given extra help at school, most of them with genuine problems such as autism, dyslexia and hearing problems.

But ministers believe that up to 450,000 youngsters are identified as having special educational needs, or SEN, without justification.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2144487/450-000-pupils-lose-special-needs-status.html#ixzz1uv2qN9IP

davelisa's picture
davelisa

I have to admit that I don't know much about this subject but from what I read in this article they are removing the SEN status from slow learners & children with difficult behaviour. Now surely these children need extra help as well. 
What will happen to them? They will sat at the back of the class forgotten about or the teacher will need to spend more time with them so the other children will be left to get on with & their education suffers.

Corris's picture
Corris
Brandie's picture
Brandie

From what they said on BBc breakfast they are going to divide the kids into severe learning needs and Emotional and behavioural. My problem wiht that is alot of the kids will fit both. Autisitic children will. Also if they are scrapping statements what happens to the Special schools. My YS needs to be in a specail school he wouldn't cope and nor would they with him in mainstream.

Christiesgal's picture
Christiesgal

I can't help feeling it's a step backwards somehow.

JacquiL's picture
JacquiL

The problem is a lot of children have been 'labelled' by school who've put them on school action and school action plus not becuase they are academically unable but because they are disruptive, badly behaved, emotional etc, when often all that's needed is a firmer hand. 
It's not a case of taking away the money from those that need it but more a case of not paying for those that don't.

Barefootgirl's picture
Barefootgirl

I've just been talking to the BBC about this! Statements will go, but they will be replaced by Educational, Care and Health plans. I think it will be an improvement for children with more severe physical and mental disabilities, who do need a holistic approach as all their problems are interlinked. However, the problems will arise for children who have 'hidden disabilities', like mild autism or Aspergers, ADHD, and BESD. Will those problems be identified by a single assessment, and will the support still be there?