Taking the 11+ test in Lancashire
Which schools require an 11+ pass?
There are four grammar schools in Lancashire:
- Bacup and Rawtenstall Grammar School (Mixed)
- Clitheroe Royal Grammar School (Mixed)
- Lancaster Girls' Grammar School
- Lancaster Royal Grammar School (Boys)
What do the tests involve?
The Lancashire schools all administer the same test, which comprises three papers in verbal reasoning, mathematics and English.
- The verbal reasoning test consists of 80 multiple-choice questions and lasts 50 minutes.
- The English test involves 56 multiple choice questions in 45 minutes. The paper tests children’s ability in comprehension, spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- The mathematics test comprises 50 multiple-choice questions in 50 minutes, based on the Key Stage 2 syllabus.
What version of the test is used?
The Lancashire grammar schools' test is developed by GL Assessment.
How do you arrange for your child to take the test?
Parents considering any of the Lancashire grammar schools must complete the application form to take the entrance exam; you can find this on each of the schools' websites. It’s important to remember that although the schools use the same test, each has different admissions criteria so it’s crucial that you check this before registering your child for the entrance test. The schools' admissions policies are available on their website.
Where are the tests held?
All four grammar schools in Lancashire hold their entrance test on the same day in each of the individual schools.
What is the pass mark?
The range of successful scores varies from year to year, depending on the ability and number of children sitting the tests. Most of the websites include information on the test scores of children who were allocated places at the various schools during the past few years, which can help you to gauge what sort of mark would qualify your child for a place. Bear in mind that attaining the pass mark doesn't guarantee your child a place; if a school is oversubscribed, they will apply their own procedures for allocating places to qualifying candidates.
How can I help prepare my child?
Both the Lancaster Girls' Grammar School and the Lancaster Royal Grammar School have details on their websites about available practice material and where parents can buy it. GL Assessment also sells a range of practice papers and preparation materials in bookshops and online.