Video: Tripod grasp quick trick
Make sure your child holds their pencil correctly every time they pick it up with this quick trick, as outlined in our video by National Handwriting Association Occupational Paediatric Therapist Catherine Elsey.
Improve handwriting in 10 minutes a day
- Step-by-step handwriting guide
- Over 200 worksheets
- From patterning to cursive
How to get a good pencil grasp every time
The dynamic tripod grip is the ideal hand position for comfortable, fluid handwriting. Help your child establish it with this quick trick, which will help them position their fingers correctly every time they pick up a pencil.
- Place the pencil on the work surface in front of your child, with the point towards them.
- Tell your child to pinch the pencil between thumb and first finger, in the place where the point joins the shaft.
- Your child then needs to lift their hand and, with the other hand, flip the blunt/eraser end of the pencil upwards and toward their body so that the shaft rests on the middle finger, behind.