On your child’s primary school journey, they’ll learn new concepts, master vital skills and, hopefully, make lots of friends too. There will be challenges along the way, and as a parent you’ll want to know where to find the right information and resources to help your child.
In this section of the site you’ll find helpful articles on a range of school-related subjects, from starting school, to understanding the curriculum, dealing with bullying, homework, exams, the parents' guide to school trips and the transition to secondary school.
Understanding the school curriculum
If you want to really support your child's learning at home, you'll need to understand what it is they are supposed to be learning in each school year, and the levels they are expected to reach. You'll find lots of information on the site to help you get a greater understanding of the Primary National Curriculum:
You and your child's school
Your child's school and their teachers are going to want to create a good relationship with you, the parent, to ensure that your child gets the best possible support at home and school. There is a lot you can do to help support the relationship on your side. Find out more here:
- What are home-school agreements?
- Reading primary school Ofsted reports: teacher tips for parents
- 8 questions you must ask your child's teacher
- 7 ways to get the best out of parents' evening
- Do school incentives help children learn?
- The benefits of joining a PTA
- How to become a school governor
- Managing allergies at school: 'I help school staff keep my son safe'
The Parents' Guide to Primary School
Get your child's school days off to a flying start – no worries, no stress, no panic! Created especially for parents of new school starters, our brilliant eBook answers every question you might have about your child's primary education.
This eBook will help you:
- Understand what schools do and what their priorities are
- Understand what school life is like for your child – from the start of their Reception year, right up until they take their Key Stage 2 SATs in Year 6
- Learn more about the different people and initiatives that shape your child’s learning experience
- Understand more about how you can help your child to get the most out of their time at school
Inside The Parents' Guide to Primary School you'll find over 220 pages jam-packed with the latest information and guidance on every stage of your child’s learning journey, plus handy hints, tips and at-home learning activities to help them reach their full potential.