Learning to read, and then being able to understand a wide range of literary texts, is probably the most important skill your child will master in primary school, and it's almost certainly something you'll be asked to support at home. In this section of the site you'll find lots of advice and information for you to help your child learn to read, improve their reading, and experience a wide range of texts.
Find out about how reading is assessed and all about school reading schemes and then download reading worksheets to develop skills and foster a love of reading that will last a lifetime.
Help your child explore books and language with TheSchoolRun's Book reviews activity pack, a huge collection of reading comprehension and creative writing resources for Year 1 to Year 6.
Written by English teacher Sue McArdle, the Book reviews activity pack is filled with colourful templates, story starters and literacy-lovers' ideas to help Y1 to Y6 children explore texts and deepen their understanding of what they read.
Books for every age, stage and interest
Whether they love fiction or non-fiction, short stories or sagas, poetry or prose, there's a world of books for your child to discover at the library and in bookshops. It can be hard to know where to start when you're choosing a great kids' book, so here are a few recommendations to add to your child's reading wish list.
- Best personalised books
- Best books about science
- Best books about art
- Best geography books
- Best books about starting school
- Best books about football
- Best books about difficult subjects
- Best science fiction books for kids
- Best maths story books
- Best books about coding
And for specific ages and stages:
- Best books for five year olds: picture books and reading together
- Best reading scheme books for early readers
- Best books for six year olds: picture books and reading together
- Best books for seven year olds: picture books, chapter books and reading together
- Best books for eight year olds
- Best books for nine year olds
And, of course, for seasons and events!