Reading comprehension pack (KS2): The Stolen Book of Spells
Reading well goes way beyond the ability to identify words and stumble through a sentence. In order to fully understand and get the most from a text, children need to be able to:
- Decode the words into complex meaning
- Understand the vocabulary involved
- Make connections between what they read and what they already know
- Be able to assimilate new information quickly and happily
- Think about what they have read so they can make inferences and deductions about the full intended meaning as well as form their own opinions
If you'd like to do some reading comprehension practice at home, The Stolen Book of Spells is an engaging, child-friendly learning pack aimed at KS2 children written by primary school teacher Alice Hart. Your child will need to read the story, answer the questions and solve a riddle to 'help' wizard Benedict find his stolen Book of Spells; suggested answers are provided so you can review your child's work and help them improve. Before you download the pack you can also read a parents' guide to reading comprehension; you'll also find other reading comprehension worksheets and activities to help with at-home practice on the site.