Help support your child's Year 1 maths learning at home with a practical, targeted eBook. Maths topics covered include counting, reading and writing in numerals to 100, using number bonds and related facts for numbers to 20, adding and subtracting one-digit and two-digit numbers to 20, using arrays and number patterns, recognising and understanding what a ‘half’ and a 'quarter' represent, telling the time to the hour and half past the hour and recognising and naming common 2D and 3D shapes. As well as parents' notes on the theory your eBook contains lots of practical activities and games to help your child practise what they're learning at home.
Teach your Year 1 maths is a reference guide and home-teaching kit which will help you understand exactly what maths skills your child is expected to have mastered in Year 1.
Primary school teacher and parent Gemma Hainsworth has prepared a mixture of information, tips and activities to ensure that you have the right facts at your fingertips to check your child has fully grasped and achieved each and every Y1 maths skill, using the same methods that they are taught (rather than confusing them with the ones you learned at school!). You'll be able to print off highly targeted worksheets to help them master the essential techniques as they progress through the school year.
In Teach your child Year 1 maths, you’ll discover:
- The vocabulary/terminology your child is being taught at school, so you can refer to the same concepts at home.
- An explanation of the methods they use in the classroom so you don’t end up doing more harm than good by trying to teach them in a different way.
- Why it is so important to talk to your child about their learning so you can ensure they understand maths methods and how to apply them.
- What children are taught in Year 1 maths
- Key Year 1 maths vocabulary
- General tips to help your child
Year 1 maths topics and practice activities
- Number and place value
- Calculating: addition and subtraction
- Calculating: multiplication and division
- Worksheet answers