Year 2 maths Progress checks
Our Y2 maths Progress checks, prepared by a KS1 teacher, will help you identify any areas your child is having trouble with so you can support their learning at home.
Each term’s maths test consists of 20 questions and a total of 20 marks. Allow your child around 20 minutes to complete the test.
The Progress checks are designed to follow TheSchoolRun's Learning Journey for that particular term. Please note: they cannot and will not necessarily follow what your child’s teacher is doing at school this week / term, as teachers tend to choose to cover objectives in an order that they feel suits their class. Therefore, don’t worry if your child cannot complete certain questions; the point of the Progress checks is to help parents identify where children might need extra help and practice.
Y2 maths objectives explained
By the end of the school year children should be confident with the following:
Y2 number facts
- Order numbers 0-100.
- Reliably know ten more and ten less than a given number.
- Understand odd and even numbers.
- 2x, 5x and 10x table knowledge revision and extension.
- Be able to count in tens.
- Be able to make and check estimates.
- Recognise familiar multiples.
Y2 addition and subtraction
- Addition using money.
- Number bonds to 10 and to 20.
- Learn to complete additions using the ‘counting on’ method.
- Apply ability to add and subtract to ‘real life’ problem-solving.
- Learn ‘double’ and ‘half’ number facts.
- Use partitioning – understanding what each digit in a number means.
- Recognise and create simple patterns.
- Solve simple puzzles and problems.
- Begin to use and understand money.
Y2 shape, space and measures
- Learn to measure time accurately.
- Measure objects using non-standard measures (for example, a hand span).
- Learn to measure using standard measures (cm, m).
- Learn to tell the time to half past and quarter past/to.
- Learn about the properties of various 2D and 3D shapes.
- Use directional language, including the terms clockwise and anticlockwise.
- Learn to recognise and find shapes in the environment.
Y2 data handling
- Use and interpret bar charts and other ways of recording data.
- Collect data to solve problems.
For more information about what your child learns in Year 2 maths read our parents' guide; you can also browse all our Y2 maths worksheets or follow our Learning Journey for Y2 maths and for KS1 SATs maths.