Year 4 science: what your child learns
Find out what is taught in Year 4 science and how you can build on your child’s learning at home.
In Year 4 science, your child will be encouraged to ask questions about scientific concepts and then carry out experiments to find out the answers. In doing this they will:
- learn what a 'fair test' is.
- take measurements from a range of equipment.
- gather and record data.
- report on findings orally and in writing.
Science topics in Year 4
Living things and their habitats
- use classification keys to group living things.
- recognise that environments can change and this can pose dangers.
Start the Year 4 Learning Programme today!
- Weekly maths, science & English worksheets
- Follows the National Curriculum
- Keeps your child's learning on track
- describe the functions of the digestive system in humans.
- identify types of teeth in humans and their simple functions.
- interpret food chains, naming producers, predators and prey.
- classify materials as solids, liquids or gases.
- observe that materials change state when they are heated or cooled.
- understand evaporation and condensation as part of the water cycle.
- understand how sounds are made through vibrations.
- look at how pitch and volume can be altered.
- understand how a circuit is made up of cells, wires, bulbs, switches and buzzers.
- recognise some common conductors and insulators.
Try this at home
- Look at your teeth in the mirror. You will notice that they are all different shapes and sizes. Why do you think this is? Think about how your teeth help you to break down food. How do the different shapes and sizes help to do this?
- With adult supervision heat some butter in one pan and some chocolate in another. What happens to them as they heat? Now put each one in a small dish and put it in the fridge. What do you think will happen?
- If you have any musical instruments in the house, have a go at playing them. Objects need to vibrate to make sounds. How is each instrument vibrating?
- Go to the library and see if you can find any books on food chains, the water cycle or electricity. Now you can impress your class with your background knowledge when you get back to school!
Practise the concepts your child is investigating in school with our Year 4 science worksheets.