Reading for pleasure
We all know that encouraging our children to read will not only improve their spelling and vocabulary, it will also broaden their minds. But how do you get your kid to switch off the TV or put down the games console remote and pick up a book instead?
In this section of the site you’ll find advice and tips from teachers and experts on why it’s important to make time for reading and how to get your child reading, creating a book-friendly home, unusual ways to get them hooked on books, why comics are brilliant for encouraging reading and how to help dyslexic children enjoy reading.
Go on, bring out the book worm in your child!
Wish your child loved books as much as the TV and games console? Engaging with English is packed with ideas to make four classic books come to life. You and your child will enjoy every moment of having adventures in a deep, dark wood, organising a Gruffalo party, investigating your family tree, creating a photo-story, making a park scene in a box and discussing metaphors and similies - yet all the activities are designed to support literacy learning as detailed in the national curriculum. The books you will be reading and discussing are:
- The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler
- Stick Man by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler
- Voices in the Park by Anthony Browne
- Looking after Louis by Lesley Ely and Polly Dunbar
Whether your child is in the EYFS, KS1 or KS2, these activities are the perfect starting point for turning book-shy children into bookworms.
Great books for kids: must-reads for 4- to 11-year-olds
When it comes to wonderful books, children are spoilt for choice. Classics and contemporary novels, personalised books, themed reads and more... look through some of our recommendations to find your child's next favourite book to curl up with.
- 10 of the best children's books for summer 2013
- 12 of the best personalised books
- 7 of the best children's reads for summer 2012
- 9 of the best books about starting school
- 15 of the best children's books about Christmas
- 13 of the best Olympics reads for kids
- 10 of the best royal reads
- 9 of the best new children's books for Christmas 2012