Reading for pleasure
We all know that encouraging our children to read will not only improve their spelling and vocabulary, it will also broaden their minds. But how do you get your kid to switch off the TV or put down the games console remote and pick up a book instead?
In this section of the site you’ll find advice and tips from teachers and experts on why it’s important to make time for reading and how to get your child reading, creating a book-friendly home, unusual ways to get them hooked on books, why comics are brilliant for encouraging reading and how to help dyslexic children enjoy reading.
Go on, bring out the book worm in your child!
Great books for kids: must-reads for 4- to 11-year-olds
When it comes to wonderful books, children are spoilt for choice. Classics and contemporary novels, personalised books, themed reads and more... look through some of our recommendations to find your child's next favourite book to curl up with.
- Best personalised books
- Best books about starting school
- Best books about football
- Best books about rugby
- Best books about difficult subjects
- Best science fiction books for kids
- Best girl-empowering books for kids
- Best children's poetry collections
- Best books about dance, drama and the stage
- Best maths story books
- Best counting books
- Best KS1 classics, KS2 classics and modern classics
If you're looking for ways to make school subjects like history come to life, look through our best historical fiction for kids lists.
Does your child love non-fiction reading? We have lots of recommendations!
- Best reference books for kids
- Best science books for kids
- Best geography books for kids
- Best art books for kids
- Best history books for kids
- Best coding books for kids
- Best maths books for kids
And for specific ages and stages:
- Best books for five year olds: picture books and reading together
- Best reading scheme books for early readers
- Best books for six year olds: picture books, chapter books, independent readers and reading together
- Best books for seven year olds: picture books, chapter books, early readers and reading together
- Best books for eight year olds: independent reading and reading together
- Best books for nine year olds: independent reading and reading together
- Best books for ten year olds
- Best books for eleven year olds
Wish your child loved books as much as the TV and games console? Engaging with English is packed with ideas to make four classic books come to life. You and your child will enjoy every moment of having adventures in a deep, dark wood, organising a Gruffalo party, investigating your family tree, creating a photo-story, making a park scene in a box and discussing metaphors and similies – yet all the activities are designed to support literacy learning as detailed in the national curriculum. The books you will be reading and discussing are:
- The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler
- Stick Man by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler
- Voices in the Park by Anthony Browne
- Looking after Louis by Lesley Ely and Polly Dunbar
Whether your child is in the EYFS or KS1, these activities are the perfect starting point for turning book-shy children into bookworms.